Who can cook:
Your family, your club, your coworkers, your church, or your group of friends for a ladies night out–anyone! If you choose to prepare the meal in our kitchen, we just ask that you limit your group size to 10 so there are not, as they say, “too many cooks in the kitchen!”
How to sign up:
To volunteer, fill out a group meal sign-up form with the contact information of your group that wants to make dinner, and your desired date. We will contact you to confirm a date and answer any questions you may have.
- Meals prepared offsite should be ready to serve at the SECU Family House by 5:30 pm. Volunteers and staff can assist with meal placement in the kitchen.
- We have a beautiful, well-equipped kitchen for groups of up to 10 people. You may arrive at the House as early as 3pm to prepare the meal in the kitchen and have it ready to serve by 5:30.
- You should expect to prepare enough food for about 40 people. While many families will arrive at 5:30pm, others often arrive throughout the evening.
- Reusable/Disposable containers are preferred. Be sure to let staff know if you will be returning for any containers you leave.
If you would like to have a tour of our House, please call ahead to speak with a Family House staff member (336-793-2822).
- Plates, napkins, utensils and drinks are available to families, but you are welcome to provide your own.
Comfort food! Popular meals include lasagna, sloppy joes, barbecue sandwiches, soup and sandwiches, chicken pie, ham and mac ’n’ cheese, fresh fruit, or chili. Or bring your own favorite recipe! Keep in mind that Families often enjoy any leftovers for lunch the following day so try to choose a recipe that freezes or reheats well. Click here for more menu ideas and catering options.
Ready to serve?
Check the calendar to find an available date, then call or email the Family House to sign up! You can also register online here.