These ongoing in-person opportunities require a volunteer profile, a 3-month commitment, a more extensive application process, and a background check. These regularly-scheduled onsite volunteers must be at least 14 years old.
If you are interested in learning more and applying for one or more of these opportunities, please indicate so when you create your volunteer profile and email Lindley.Curtis@familyhousews.org to indicate your interests.
Common Area Volunteers
- Use standard cleaning checklist to wipe down/sanitize high touch points
- Vacuum hallways
- Dust pictures and furniture
- Sweep stairwells, mop spots, wipe down/sanitize handrails
- Wipe down vacant room entry and bathroom doors with Murphy Oil Soap
Dinner Hosts in the Kitchen
- Please note that Dinner Hosts may register as hourly volunteers and come once or twice without going through additional steps. If dinner hosts would like to come regularly, an application and background check is required.
- Prepare the kitchen for dinners
- Help to put meals in individual containers for guests
- Put away leftovers
- On evenings when small groups are preparing meals in the kitchen, Dinner Hosts help to orient them, answer questions, and provide support.
- Clean and organize refrigerators
- Organize snacks
- Check inventories of kitchen staples
- Wipe down and sanitize countertops, cabinets, and tables
- Fold towels and bed linens and restock shelves
- Wipe down machines
- Sweep and mop laundry and storage area
- Check inventories of supplies
- Assist with preventative maintenance in vacant rooms and common spaces
- Clean PTAC covers, bathroom vent fans, and ceiling fan blades
- Change light bulbs
- Test smoke detectors and emergency lights
Note and Letter Writing Volunteers
- Write Thank You notes and letters to donors and former guests
Data Management Volunteers
- Assist with data input and management associated with operations and development
Brighten people’s day by playing the piano, playing another instrument, or singing in the Family House living room!
Musicians usually play from about 5:45-6:15. Nights of the week are flexible.
To talk about details and schedule an evening to share your talents, contact Lindley.Curtis@familyhousews.org or 336-569-8339.
Spiritual Care Volunteers
Provide counseling, comfort, and a listening presence to patients and caregivers who are facing illness and health crises. Facilitate connections with hospital chaplains, and provide worship opportunities and meaningful rituals.
Spiritual Care Volunteers come to the Family House for 2-hour shifts, 5:00-7:00pm, Sunday-Thursday. To learn more about qualifications and requirements, contact Lindley.Curtis@familyhousews.org or 336-569-8339.