Who can stay at the Family House? The SECU Family House provides lodging for referred patients and/or their family members and caregivers. Patients must be 18 years or older and currently receive treatment at one of the local medical centers. Guests must have a permanent residence outside of Forsyth County.
How can I stay at the Family House? The SECU Family House can only accept guests through a referral application submitted by a medical professional or one of the designated departments at Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist , Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center, or Trellis Supportive Care. Please call the Family House at 336-793-2822 if you are receiving treatment at another medical facility.
Request a referral to stay:
- Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center: 336-713-2273 (Patient Relations)
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center: 336-718-2005 (Patient Relations)
- Trellis Supportive Care: 336-768-3972 (Social Worker)
What do I do after the referral is sent to the Family House? Once the Family House receives your referral, we will call you to answer any questions you may have, take some personal information, and create a room request. The status of room availability will be confirmed by us on your requested date of arrival. *Please note that a request is NOT a reservation.*
When do I check in? Most rooms will be available daily after 3pm. First-time guests should make every effort to check in between the hours of 3pm and 8pm. The orientation paperwork and tour for your first visit may take 15-30 minutes.
How long can I stay? Your stay at the Family House can extend to 28 days, this helps us serve as many families as possible. If you need to stay beyond 28 days, you may apply to extend your stay with the Operations Manager.
What is the cost of a room? Family House guests pay a $40 nightly fee. Applications for a reduced rate may be completed for consideration if you are unable to pay the full rate.
How many rooms may I have? We allow one room per family. Most rooms have 2 queen size beds, and can accommodate up to 4 adult guests.
Is the House ADA accessible? ADA accessible guest rooms have one queen size be, one recliner, and a shower with a drop down seat and handheld shower head. Each floor has a public restroom with a roll in shower.
What is provided in your room? Your room features a bedroom with two queen beds and a private bathroom. We provide you with bed linens and towels. Cable television, wireless internet access, a clothes hamper, and radio-alarm clocks are provided in each bedroom. Family House telephones are located at the end of each hallway near the stairwell, and in the lobby.
What programs are provided?
- Meal Program: Volunteer groups come on a regular basis and prepare warm, filling meals for families. Ask the Welcome Desk if a meal is scheduled for the night. Breakfast, lunch, and snack items are provided as available for guests to prepare themselves.
- Transportation: Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist offers transportation to and from Baptist hospital every hour on the hour on weekdays from 8am-5pm. A supplemental transportation program provides Lyft service to both hospitals on evenings, weekends, and holidays. A printed schedule with times is available at the Welcome Desk. Taxi services are also available in Winston-Salem.
- Guest Support Services: Enjoy an evening visiting with a therapy dog, participating in an art activity, listening to piano music, or visiting with a chaplain.
Do you have smoking rooms? No, the Family House is a smoke-free facility with a designated outdoor smoking area.
Are pets allowed? The Family House welcomes service animals and their person. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. We are happy to provide local boarding information for pets that do not act in the service capacity as outlined by the ADA regulations.
May I have visitors? Yes, visitors are welcome at the House between the hours of 9am and 9pm. Visitors must sign in at the front desk and should be accompanied by you at all times.
How does the Day Respite program work? Day guests may stop by the Family House and use our common areas for food, laundry, television, or computers anytime between the hours of 9am and 5pm. Day respite guests must also have a referral from one of the medical facilities.
Are children allowed to stay at the House? Yes, children are welcome. We require that minors under 14 years be accompanied by an adult at all times in all areas of the Family House.
Can family members take turns staying in a room? Yes, since we limit our families to one room and cannot hold a room for more than 24 hours, we encourage you to rotate with your family. Please notify a staff member of your rotation so we may keep track of who is in the Family House.