Ways to Serve a Meal
Meals offer much-needed hospitality at the end of a long day at the hospital. Let’s show some love from our community!
Here is how you can help:
We are excited to welcome back small groups of volunteers inside the Family House to PREPARE and SERVE their meals!
- Use the online calendar to sign up to provide a meal for 45-50 people.
- When you register, you will be asked to indicate:
- Group name (if applicable)
- Whether or not the food will already be individually packaged
- Planned menu
- Whether you plan to 1) prepare food offsite and drop it off by 4:45, 2) prepare food offsite and send 1-8 volunteers to serve it at the Family House at 5:30, 3) send 1-8 volunteers to prepare and serve the meal at 5:30 in the Family House kitchen
*Please note that masks are welcome, but not required when volunteering.
*Up to 8 volunteers may serve in the kitchen at one time. If your group would like to send more than 6 people to volunteer in person, please contact Lindley at Lindley.Curtis@familyhousews.org or 336-569-8339 to talk about options. (For example, some volunteers may do projects in other parts of the house.)
- We ask that volunteers limit dinners to 1 entrée, 1-2 sides, and 1 dessert. This will simplify the process of serving the food.
- Meals may be delivered in large pans/boxes/trays and volunteers will divide the food onto paper plates or to-go containers in the Family House kitchen.
- If food is dropped off, it must be in disposable containers.
- The Family House has a variety of pots, pans, crockpots, knives, and other kitchen equipment. Let us know if you have questions about the kitchen supplies!
- Want to divide the food at home? This kind of clamshell container is affordable/eco-friendly.
*If you don’t find a date that works for you, please consider making a donation in the form of a gift card or a monetary donation that is designated for meals.
Examples of menus:
- club sandwiches, small bags of chips, clementines or Cuties, and brownies
- pans of baked chicken, pans of green beans, pans of mac & cheese, and a sheet cake
- pans of chicken casserole, pans of steamed mixed veggies, rolls, and pans of blueberry cobbler
- 11 large pizzas, large bags of prepared salad with small packets of dressing, and cookies
Contribute a dish to a Merry Meals Dinner
Scheduled for the first and third Monday of every month, Merry Meals are designed for individuals who like to cook, but might not be able to provide a complete meal for everyone at the Family House.
Collectively, you can provide a portion of the main dish or one side item and feed the entire Family House! Twice a month, we will have the dates and menus posted on our Perfect Potluck site below.
On the perfect potluck website below, use Meal Coordinator: Family House and Password: 1970 to find us.