Ways to Serve a Meal
Provide a Dinner
Having food available in the house helps guests avoid trips to the grocery stores or restaurants where the risk of exposure is heightened. At a time when our patients and caregivers may be feeling even more isolated, it’s a great time to show them the love of our community.
Here is how you can help:
- Use the online calendar to sign up.
- When you register, you will be asked to indicate:
- group name (if applicable)
- whether or not the food will already be individually packaged
- planned menu
- Provide a meal for 35-40 people.
- Meals need to be dropped off at the Family House by 4:45pm.
- All food needs to be dropped off in disposable containers.
- While individually-packed meals are helpful, meals may be delivered in large pans/boxes/trays and volunteers will divide the food into to-go containers in the Family House kitchen.
- Want to divide the food at home? This kind of clamshell container is affordable/eco-friendly.
- We ask that volunteers limit dinners to 1 entree, 1-2 sides, and 1 dessert. This will simplify the process of putting the food into to-go containers at the Family House.
- Meals may be catered and delivered by local restaurants or prepared off site in volunteers’ homes.
- Even though groups cannot get together to prepare the meals on site, consider asking friends and group members to collaborate by dropping off various parts of a meal.
- If you don’t find a date that works for you, please consider making a donation in the form of a gift card or a monetary donation that is designated for meals.
Examples of menus:
- individually wrapped club sandwiches, small bags of chips, clementines or Cuties, and individually wrapped brownies
- pans of baked chicken, pans of green beans, pans of mac & cheese, and a sheet cake
- pans of chicken casserole, pans of steamed mixed veges, rolls, and pans of blueberry cobbler
- individually wrapped chicken salad croissants, apples, and individually wrapped Moon Pies
- 11 large pizzas, large bags of prepared salad with small packets of dressing, and cookies
Contribute to a Potluck Dinner
Scheduled for the first and third Monday of every month, Merry Meals are designed for individuals who like to cook, but might not be able to provide a complete meal for everyone at the Family House.
Collectively, you can provide a portion of the main dish or one side item and feed the entire Family House! Twice a month, we will have the dates and menus posted on our Perfect Potluck site.
On the perfect potluck website, use Meal Coordinator: Family House and Password: 1970 to find us.
We look forward to the day when we will welcome groups back in the Family House kitchen to prepare meals!
We will be sure to update this webpage and our social media pages as protocols change.