How Can We Help You?
We’re here to help you find the resources that you need.
Where can I find resources about helpful topics?
- The Resource Wall in the Dining Room includes handouts that address topics like: Guidelines for a Hospital Stay, Information about How to Talk with Your Doctors, Taking Care of the Caregiver, Community Service Directories, Tips for Fall Prevention, and many more.
- Additional resource may be found in the Chapel on the first floor and library on the third floor.
- The Family House website also includes helpful information, links, and blog.
How can I find helpful cancer resources while I am in Winston-Salem?
- Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist Comprehensive Cancer Center: For patients at Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist, we always encourage guests to connect with the extensive support services at the hospital. Handouts of these support services are available on the Resource Wall in the Dining Room.
- Cancer Services, Inc.: Located in Winston-Salem, Cancer Services, Inc. offers a variety of services for cancer patients and their caregivers, from educational programs, healing hands services, wellness groups, equipment, and wigs.
How can I find additional information about cancer care as well as cancer-related resources in my hometown?
- American Cancer Society: This website provides comprehensive information about cancer, treatment, tools for healthy living, stories of hope, a blog, and ways to find support, including local support and financial assistance.
- CancerCare: This website offers extensive information about counseling, support groups, educational resources, financial assistance, and stories of hope.
- LIVESTRONG: This organization provides helpful resources such as LIVESTRONG Navigation, which provides free, personalized support to people dealing with a cancer diagnosis. Also offers a very practical guidebook.
- National Cancer Institute: This website includes helpful information about cancer, treatment, and coping.
What resources are available for financial assistance?
- At the Family House, a Family Assistance Fund is available for guests who are unable to pay the full rate. Applications are available at the front desk.
- Several nationwide programs offer assistance with medical expenses, such as:
- “Crowdfunding platforms” can be a helpful way for guests to fundraise online. While there are numerous options available, several good places to start include:
- Red Basket: Red Basket is a free non-profit crowdfunding platform that allows individuals to fundraise online. Unlike other crowdfunding sites, Red Basket is completely free of any fees, and 100% of the donations go to the individuals.
- YouCaring: YouCaring is a free crowdfunding platform that allows individuals and groups to fundraise online. There are no fees involved with the YouCaring site, but minimal payment processing charges apply.
How can I find resources in my county and hometown?
- A compilation of general resources is available for North Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia as well as the Family House guests’ top five NC counties. These lists are available on our website and on the Resource Wall in the Dining Room.
- We are happy to help you locate resources in your hometown.
How can I speak with a chaplain?
- Chaplains are always on call 24/7 at the hospitals
- Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist: 336-716-4745
- Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center: 336-718-5545
How can I learn more about advance directives, such as a living will and a healthcare power of attorney?
- Advance directives provide important documents that specify your wishes should you not be able to speak for yourself. At the Family House, we provide the Five Wishes document. Contact Lindley if you have questions about advance care planning. To learn more about Five Wishes, see agingwithdignity.org.
Where can I find a list of places of worship near the Family House?
- Winston-Salem includes many places of worship that reflect a variety of denominations and traditions. Speak with a guest service associate for more information.
Where can I find directions to pharmacies, shopping, and grocery stores?
- Winston-Salem is home to a wide variety of wonderful restaurants, shops, and destinations. Speak with a guest service associate for more information.
What kind of transportation is available for guests at the Family House?
- Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist offers transportation to and from Baptist hospital every hour on the hour on weekdays from 8am-5pm. A supplemental transportation program with Lyft provides service to the hospitals on evenings, weekends, and holidays. A printed schedule with times is available at the Welcome Desk. Taxi services are also available in Winston-Salem.
What kind of activities and programs are offered at the Family House?
- Volunteer groups prepare meals many evenings. Meals are advertised on the white board near the Welcome Desk and on weekly calendars around the house. Donated snack items are often kept in stock.
- We offer a variety of activities designed to care for the whole person—body, mind, and spirit. These include therapy dogs, bingo, wellness through art, a monthly support group for those who have experienced or are experiencing medical hardships, and support from chaplains. Activities for the day are advertised at the front desk and in the elevators.