Now What? How to Volunteer Over the Summer
Between your vacations and camps, you and your kids can pick up a few service hours with the Family House. Complete projects from the convenience of your own home, or schedule a time to serve with a group at the Family House. Here’s how.
- BAKE A DESSERT OR SNACK – Bake brownies, cookies, cupcakes, or muffins. Assemble bags of trail mix, cookies, or chips. Package these items into individual portions (one brownie, 3-4 cookies per bag)
- ASSEMBLE CAREGIVER BAGS – Gather items (such as lotions, puzzle books, personal care items, or notepads) and assemble in care bags to give to guests at check-in.
- MAKE A CRAFT – Craft seasonal door hangers, knit or crochet hats for winter bingo prizes, illustrate paper place mats. The sky’s the limit!
- SERVE A MEAL – A great way for a family or group to be involved with the Family House is to prepare dinner (or a breakfast) in our beautiful kitchen! Your group will leave knowing that your home cooking, as one guest put it, “warmed the bellies and the hearts” of the families.
- GROUP OPPORTUNITY: BAKE GRANDMA LEE’S FAMILY HOUSE GINGER COOKIE – This is good for a group of about 5-6 people. We have all the ingredients here to make these ginger cookies. It takes about an hour per batch to make fresh, delicious cookies for families and to give out to donors and friends.
- GROUP OPPORTUNITY: FORM A CLEAN TEAM – With a group of 4-8, you may sign up for a day to help deep clean areas of the Family House. Anything you do at your house we do at ours! This may include sweeping, dusting, laundry, etc.